Monday, November 24, 2008

Africa.

I've recently been introduced to something I think is awesome. It's called Mocha Club and here's what it's all about...

Mocha Club is a community-based website where members can start a team and invite friends to join them in giving $7 a month – the cost of 2 mochas – to support a project in Africa. Mocha Club's vision is to provide a way for people who don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a difference in Africa.

As if what they do on a normal basis isn't cool enough, Mocha Club is beginning a new campaign on December 1. In preparation for that event, they've asked people to think about and discuss this statement: I need Africa more then Africa needs me.

It's a tough statement. What does it mean? I had to read a few times to really understand...and even after that, I'm not sure that I really do. But I am going to try an articulate how it makes me feel.

I have never been to Africa, but I feel like somehow part of it has always been inside of me. The people, the cultures, the history, the landscape, the whole continent fascinates me. That fascination has always led me to sort of selfish questions...and I guess that stems from my overall world view and general focus in life. It is so easy to get caught up in what is immediately surrounding us and miss the much much bigger picture of how life is happening all around the world.

So, why do I need Africa?

I need Africa to remind me that there is a bigger picture. Life is more then what is happening right around me.

I need Africa to emphasize the truth that less really is more...and that I have more then enough.

I need Africa to show me that happiness and satisfaction does not come from the possession of material things, but instead in how we live life- with purpose and discipline, by hard work, through relationships with family, friends, community, and ultimately Christ.

I need Africa to help me shift my focus and priority from myself to others and how I can meet their needs.

I need Africa to teach me how to love people like Jesus loves people- unconditionally, whole heartedly, with reckless abandon.



What do you think? Do you need Africa more then it needs you?

Leave me a comment...I'd love to hear what you think...and check out what Mocha Club is doing. It might just change lives in ways you could never imagine- yours included!

No comments: